Here you can type the beginning of your post. It will be displayed on the main page of the blog.
Title: Study: Radioactive water to reach Hawaii in 2 years
Source: AJW by The Asahi Shimbun
Author: TAKASHI SUGIMOTO
Date: April 03, 2012
Water contaminated by radioactivity that entered the sea from the Fukushima No. 1 nuclear plant will reach the Hawaiian Islands in March 2014, according to a computer simulation by the Japan Atomic Energy Agency. [...]
The researchers said 18,000 trillion becquerels of radioactive iodine and cesium have leaked from the plant into the sea.
The contaminated water will be carried by ocean currents, and the maximum radioactivity level in cesium-137 will be about 0.04 becquerel per liter when it nears the Hawaiian Islands, they said.
Read the report here
Though cesium-134 is not mentioned, it was released in comparable amounts to Cs-137. However, Cs-134 has a 2 year half-life, Cs-137 has a 30 year half-life.
After three years, Cs-134 will be at around 37.5% of original levels. Factoring in this decay rate to the 0.04 Bq/l gives a result of .015 Bq/l of radioactivity remaining from Cs-134.
The total 0.055 Bq/l of Cs-134 & -137 is equal to 1.49 picocuries per liter. (27.1 pCi = 1 Bq)
The US Environmental Protection Agency’s Maximum Contaminant Level is 3 pCi/l:
“EPA lumps these gamma and beta emitters together under one collective MCL [Maximum Contaminant Level], so if you’re seeing cesium-137 in your milk or water, the MCL is 3.0 picocuries per liter; if you’re seeing iodine-131, the MCL is 3.0; if you’re seeing cesium-137 and iodine-131, the MCL is still 3.0.” -Forbes.com
See also: WATCH: Radioactive plume map shows Fukushima contamination heading toward Hawaii (VIDEO)
- Cesium and iodine both at least 600% above EPA’s maximum contaminant level in Hawaii milk April 11, 2011
- Amount of radiation in 3 gallons of milk from Hilo, Hawaii surpasses annual maximum contaminant level set by EPA April 11, 2011
- WATCH: Radioactive plume map shows Fukushima contamination heading toward Hawaii (VIDEO) March 16, 2012
- UPI: Fukushima plume to reach U.S. West Coast in months; Measurable increase in radioactive material — Study: Prolonged exposure for California lasting 10 years; Hits Hawaii early 2014… may already be surrounded (PHOTO) August 28, 2013
- French gov’t map shows ‘maximum’ radiation directly over Hawaii on March 21, 2011 — Highest levels of anywhere in world, including Fukushima (GRAPHIC) February 9, 2014